As of March 30th, COAC has suspended backcountry avalanche advisories and pro observations until further notice.

On March 23rd, Governor Brown of Oregon issued Stay at Home orders for the public regarding the COVID-19 outbreak. The directives are clear in that “to the maximum extent possible, individuals stay at home or in their place of residence.” On March 27th the Deschutes National Forest issued a closure of all developed recreation sites including trailheads and snoparks. COAC is committed to supporting our community, local emergency services, and agency partners and because of this we felt it important to cease operations as we all work together to minimize the impacts and spread of COVID-19.   

This decision was not taken lightly. Aside from the need to maintain congruency with the Governors' orders, there are inherent risks with backcountry activities in alpine environments and it’s important to consider unnecessary exposure to COAC forecasters, first responders, and local medical staff in light of the current situation.

We look forward to getting back into the mountains and providing you all with the tools to recreate safely in the backcountry. Until then we thank you for your continued support and wish all our mountain community the best of health and wellness.

Tam Rim Conditions

Observation Date/Time:
Thu, Mar 26, 2020 - 8:14 PM
Elliott Reed
Tam Rim Area / 7597'
Report Type:
Snow Conditions  
Travel Mode:
Ski or Snowboard  
Sky Conditions:
Sky Clear (<1/8)
New Snow:
20 cm
Wind Direction/Speed:
W / Light: 1-16 mph

Written Report:
While touring Tam Rim today, I found 10-20cm of new, unconsolidated snow on the surface. The new snow was bonding well to the old melt/freeze crust. Solar aspects had more variable snow surface with a crust in some locations.

While assessing the snow, I found a few small dry loose avalanches and some very small wind slabs on north facing terrain.

While looking towards Little Three Creeks Cirque I did see what appeared to be a larger wind slab avalanche above a cliff band. I was unable to determine the exact size and depth due to its location.

Throughout the tour the sky was clear, no precipitation, and light winds from the west. At 9:30am the air temp was 17F and by 3pm it had warmed to 30F. I also did not see any blowing snow.

Overall, I found very few wind slabs and mostly unconsolidated snow.


This observation is sponsored by: