COAA was established as a result of an identified need to promote increased avalanche awareness and bolster local forecasting opportunities in the Central Oregon vicinity.
COAA is an Oregon 501c3 non-profit organization. Our present focus is to organize and support bolstered avalanche educational opportunities in the Central Oregon area. We are presently involved in,
· Community avalanche education events,
· Increased distribution of relevant mountain snow and weather data (web-based),
· Coordination with entities such as National Weather Service and Northwest Avalanche Center to identify gaps and needed equipment to bolster and improve forecasting,
· Provide funding to assist in purchase of above mentioned equipment as identified as best benefit to general public,
· Organizing local for-profit entities to best serve the local community.
Future activities entail,
· Coordination with the US Forest Service and National Weather Service to staff a forecast center for the Central Oregon Range.
· Provide scholarship opportunities to identified persons to assist in attaining certified avalanche instruction.